1. 6/10/11 - My Morning Jacket at Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN
Waiting it out for a spot in the pit was the best decision I made all festival. A small price to pay for the best live band of our generation.
2. 1/29/11 - The Dismemberment Plan - Webster Hall, NYC, NY
After waiting nearly 10 years, I finally got the nerve to jump on stage during “Ice of Boston” (second photo above) and did not regret it one bit.
3. 10/31/11 - M83 at Moogfest - Asheville, NC
Only a 1.5 hour set at Moog Fest, but “Intro” and “Midnight City” sounded amazing even though by that point I was thoroughly worn out from the amazing weekend.
4. 9/30/11 - Explosions in the Sky - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC
Texas and/or post rock forever. So so good, and at one of my favorite venues ever too.
5. 10/28/11 - The Field at Moogfest - Asheville, NC
So glad I left Moby early to catch The Field before TV on the Radio. Hypnotic and groovy as hell. The kind of show why I’m glad I went to Moog Fest.
My 2011 concert list:
1/25/11 - Girl Talk - The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
1/29/11 - The Dismemberment Plan - Webster Hall, NYC, NY
4/3/11 - Explosions in the Sky - Amos’ Southend, Charlotte, NC
4/7/11 - Futurebirds - The Evening Muse, Charlotte, NC
4/9/11 - The Avett Brothers - Bojangles Coliseum, Charlotte, NC
4/14/11 - The Whigs - Neighborhood Theatre, Charlotte, NC
4/20/11 - Wavves - Dixie’s Tavern, Charlotte, NC
5/17/11 - The Flaming Lips - The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
6/9/11-6/12/11 - Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN (Futurebirds, Wavves, School of Seven Bells, Best Coast, Twin Shadow, The Walkmen, Deerhunter, Matt & Kim, The Decemberists, My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Big Boi, Bassnectar, Lil’ Wayne, Ratatat, Man Man, Mumford & Sons, The Black Keys, Smith Westerns, Iron & Wine, The Strokes)
8/21/11 - My Morning Jacket, Neko Case - Time Warner Cable Uptown Ampitheatre, Charlotte, NC
9/12/11 - TV on the Radio, Broken Social Scene - The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
9/30/11 - Explosions in the Sky, Wye Oak - The Orange Peel, Asheville, NC
10/13/11 - Futurebirds - Visulite Theatre, Charlotte, NC
10/28/11-10/31/11 - Moogfest - Asheville, NC (The Antlers, Moby, The Field, Flying Lotus, TV on the Radio, Dan Deacon, CANT, Crystal Castles, The Flaming Lips, St. Vincent, Battles, M83, Neon Indian, James Murphy, Passion Pit)
11/17/11 - Megafaun - The Evening Muse, Charlotte, NC
11/23/11 - The Airborne Toxic Event - The Fillmore, Charlotte, NC
- A review of My Morning Jacket's ridiculously awesome What Stage set from Friday night; I will post my photos from this show hopefully tonight
Never straying from their foundation in mountain harmonies and soulfully lurching guitar, the Louisville, Kentucky-based band amped up a relentless blast of horns (“Live and Let Die” style) plus electronic sound effects plus light-show psychedelics (given a boost by scattered glow-stick eruptions from the crowd), in an effort to make their prime 8-10 PM sunset slot, in front of at least 50,000 fans, seem as vital and boundary-blurring as ever. James also wore furry white boots and fiddled with an Omnichord. Your move, lasertainment industry! Mountainvision — pshaw!
- Another MMJ set review from the local Nashville paper
- The Audio Perv has full video of the entire MMJ set
- Stereogum has over 100 polaroids from artists that they took of whatever they wanted over the weekend; it includes photos taken by Arcade Fire, Twin Shadow, Matt and Kim, Smith Westerns and more
- Rolling Stone’s Best of Bonnaroo in Video Highlights
- Unfortunately, 2 people did die over the weekend, including a 24-year old from Raleigh
Oh hey, a mini-linkdown…
- Rolling Stone’s Guide to Bonnaroo 2011 (h/t Susong)
- Backstage with My Morning Jacket, who will be playing Friday night and is probably my most anticipated set of the weekend
- Spin’s 25 Must-Hear Artists at Bonnaroo 2011 (plus free mixtape)
- Beirut is playing the festival and today announced a new album out August 30 called The Rip Tide
- Beirut also recently released the mp3 of a new single out June 14, “East Harlem,” with the adorable cover art below:
- Listen to a Bonnaroo playlist from RCRD LBL